Updating of INVERTED METAMORPH indexes

barry.marcus

Post by barry.marcus »

I seem to recall reading a while back in the documentation that metamorph inverted indexes do not automatically update as data in the underlying table is changed, but now I can't find that documentation page. Is this true? If it is true, is this a default behavior that can be overridden. That is, is there any way to create a MMI index that *does* automatically update?

Thanks.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

The index is always updated, but not optimized as the data changes. You can configure chkind to control how often the index is optimized, or manually choose when to optimize by reissuing the create index statement.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

barry.marcus

Post by barry.marcus »

So to clarify, will chkind optimize the index once one or both of the thresholds in SYSMETAINDEX are met? Or does chkind somehow just send a notification that this needs to be done? Also, how would I run chkind in the background (as a service?) on Windows server?
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Chkind will check the index every WAIT seconds, and if there are more than THRESH bytes of new or changed data it will optimize the index.

Chkind should run automatically, you can configure the settings for it in the [Chkind] section of texis.cnf/texis.ini.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software