Terminated (signal 15)

abhishek.thakur

Terminated (signal 15)

Post by abhishek.thakur »

Hi Team ,

I am facing issue with the kill command provided by texis.
We have a set for scripts that need to be scheduled or unscheduled and I am trying to provide this option from frontend admin console.

The following is the command,provided in the script :
<kill $procId>

procId is the processId we fetch from one of our system tables.

The issue I am facing here is , if I try to kill one process at a time it works fine , but when I give command to kill all the process in the system table, though it kills them but it kills other texis processes as well including its own calling script.Interesting thing to note here is we also notice unexpected loss of server connection on Putty and filezila on execution of this command for all the process in system table.

Please help me with this issue

Thanks,
Abhishek
mark
Site Admin

Terminated (signal 15)

Post by mark »

Short answer is you're killing processes you shouldn't.
What is your "system table" and how is it populated and why would you kill "everything"?
abhishek.thakur

Terminated (signal 15)

We have this table, which store the values like the name of the scheduled script, its scheduled time, and the processId if that process is still running.

So for scheduling and unscheduling any script, we need to kill the existing running process and that why I use kill command for that. It works fine if I take one process at a time, but we face issues when I try to go for bulk operation, like fetching all processIds from that system table and then killing them.
mark
Site Admin

Terminated (signal 15)

Post by mark »

If you're not removing old entries from that table as processes finish you may end up killing some process that has reused the old process id.

Also make sure none of your process ids are less than 1 as such numbers can cause group kills.

I assume you're looping over the pids rather than trying to give the whole list to <kill>.
abhishek.thakur

Terminated (signal 15)

Hi Mark,

The issue got resolved.One of the process was assigned with ProcessId of -1 in the table, and that was causing the group kill.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Abhishek