Common error

barry.marcus

Common error

Post by barry.marcus »

What does this mean:

006 /crosshairs: Cannot rename D:\Crosshairs\script/crosshairs.vtc to .vtx: File exists

and why does it happen fairly often? In particular, what can I do to be able to delete the .vtx file. The only way I know how to recover from it is to reboot, which is a pain, to say the least! Short of that, access is denied and I cannot delete the file. As I said, it requires a reboot of the server in order to proceed with the compilation!!!
John
Site Admin

Common error

Post by John »

There are two options, either the file is already in use by a running texis, which would prevent deletion or renaming, or it was created by a different user, e.g. web server user vs command line user.

If it's the former then killing the texis process should unlock the file.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
barry.marcus

Common error

Post by barry.marcus »

That doesn't seem to be the case. Usually, I am the only user on this particular server, and I verify that there are no Texis processes running. I even issue

monitor -k

Nothing I do can seem to unlock that file short of reboot.
jason112
Site Admin

Common error

Post by jason112 »

You can use Microsoft's Process Explorer tool to find out exactly what is holding the file open (it's also a dandy task manager replacement)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/bb896653

In the program, go to Find -> "Find Handle or DLL...", and enter "crosshairs.vtc".