Warning message re: order by

barry.marcus

Post by barry.marcus »

I am unclear as to what is meant by the following warning messages that I have always received:

<!-- 115 /crosshairs:1852: Field PATN_WKU- non-existent -->
<!-- 200 /crosshairs:1852: Can't handle ORDER BY with compound index -->

Here is the query:

select id, PATN_TTL, PATN_WKU from PATN where PATN_ISD between '20110103' and '20110712' and (ABST_PAx like 'fiber coupler w/4') order by PATN_ISD DESC, PATN_WKU DESC

I have two MM indexes on ABST_PAx, created with the following statements:

create METAMORPH INVERTED index PATN_ABST_PAx_MI on PATN(ABST_PAx,PATN_ISD)
create METAMORPH INVERTED index PATN_ABST_PAx_D_MI on PATN(ABST_PAx,PATN_ISD DESC)

I also have two standard indexes each on PATN_ISD and PATN_WKU, created with these statements:

CREATE INDEX PATN_ISD_D_I on PATN(PATN_ISD DESC)
CREATE INDEX PATN_ISD_I on PATN(PATN_ISD)
CREATE INDEX PATN_WKU_D_I on PATN(PATN_WKU DESC)
CREATE INDEX PATN_WKU_I on PATN(PATN_WKU)

And yet the warning persists. I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

Thanks.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

They are simply indicating that the order by can't be done with the same index that is used for the search. They are not errors, and can be ignored if it is not appropriate to add PATN_WKU to the metamorph index.

Also you only need one of the metamorph indexes, it doesn't matter whether or not you specify PATN_ISD as DESC or not, the index still ends up the same, and can be used to order by PATN_ISD either direction.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
barry.marcus

Post by barry.marcus »

OK. It's true that we've been successfully running the code for YEARS with the warning, and have been ignoring it as you said. However, this has only now become an issue because for some unexplained reason, the text of the warnings are suddenly appearing on one of our user's browsers IN ADDITION TO in the source for the page, where they normally ONLY appear. While I realize it's basically a cosmetic issue, it *looks* like an error, and so is a problem. I also realize that this is probably not within Thunderstone's purview, but do you have any idea why these warning messages would suddenly start appearing in both the page source (as comments bracketed by "<!--" and "-->" AND on the rendered page? Is there some setting in IE that would cause this? Perhaps in Texis.ini, although other users hitting the same server do not see the messages on the query result page on their browser.

It's frustrating.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Do you have your own putmsg function perhaps?

Viewing the source of the page showing the unwanted messages might help figure out how they're getting there.
barry.marcus

Post by barry.marcus »

Mystery (sort of) solved! There is apparently something wrong with the vortex.log file itself. Either it is too big (it's about 35MB) or it is corrupted. When I rename the existing log file, forcing Texis to create a new one, the message no longer renders on the browser page.
barry.marcus

Post by barry.marcus »

No, there is no custom putmsg. I actually was about to create one so that I could just swallow those warning messages once and for all. But I guess there's no need. I really don't mind that the warnings appear in the log, or in the source. Live and let live, I say!
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Maybe the perms on the log got messed up so vortex wasn't able to open and write it. Long as it's working now...
aldrinbagos

Post by aldrinbagos »

help me i need you