Registry Errors on Install

mark106

Post by mark106 »

Hi,

I'm getting the following error message every time I run gw.exe from the command log. Also on installation of free Webinator onto my NT4 box after installation is almost completed (when the DOS dialogs come up) this message or one like it (it runs and closes so fast you can't read it all) apprears in the dialog.

ERROR
<QUOTE>
100 Could not open key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Thunderstone Software
Can't alloc logfile name
</QUOTE>

Also, we were running free webinator on a rented UNIX box under the same url, http://www.mediapost.com, but have not used it in several years. Would this previous installation have anything to do with our problem? In researching this I found a similar error so I tried to run a gw to "force licensing":

gw -d- -st "select * from systables"

This gave the following error:

<QUOTE>
100 Could not open key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Thunderstone Software
Can't alloc logfile name
2001/07/28 16:55:05 Could not open key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Thunderstone Software
2001/07/28 16:55:05 Begin gw -d- -st "select * from systables"
175 Table systables not found in data dictionary...
<QUOTE>

My feeling is that all of this is related to the registry errors thrown on install, PLEASE HELP!
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

The case of SYSTABLES is important, so you should use:

gw -d- -st "select * from SYSTABLES"

which is why the table is not found. The registry error is related to DNS under NT. From the command line you can use -dns=sys which will try and use the builtin name server. This does not always work correctly on NT, and if you create a registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Thunderstone Software\NameServer
with a value of the IP address of your name server, then GW will use that. It will try and look where NT normally stores that information first, but apparently your system stores it somewhere else.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software