Getting Webinator to look at an existing MSSQL database on WIN2K

ptaylor

Post by ptaylor »

We are running a new Content Management System Called C3. C3 runs our web services from a MSSQL database and I cant get the webinator search to look at the already existing pages within the datbase. Every time I use GE.EXE via the DOS prompt it just keeps creating a new database.

Can anyone help??
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

I'm not quite sure what you are asking here. Webinator creates a database with the result of a crawl of a website. It uses it's own database, and does not talk to other databases.

The license for Webinator does not permit indexing content stored in a database, and you would require the full Texis product for that.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
ptaylor

Post by ptaylor »

Thanks for the reply, so would I import the 'pages' table from the content management system database into the webinator database?
ptaylor

Post by ptaylor »

With reference to your last comment on the full texis product, as far as I know, Worcestershire County Council have purchased to full commercial version with the PDF plugin.

Thanks for any help!
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Worcestershire County Council has the Commercial version of Webinator, not the Full Texis version.

With the full Texis version you could import the data. With Commercial Webinator the way to get data into the database is with a web spider, which queries the webserver for data with HTTP, and follows links in the HTML.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
ptaylor

Post by ptaylor »

Every time I try a command in gw I get the same line saying: 'no database specified. use the default <route>?
<y/n> default is y:
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Gw needs to know the path to the database it is to work on, since you can have several. You can specify the database on the command line with the -d option. -d- will use the default database.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software