Error 002

eric22

Error 002

Post by eric22 »

I installed Webinator IIS 5.0 but when I try to start I get this error:

002 /webinator/dowalk: Can't create object file c:\inetpub\wwwroot\webinator\dowalk.vtc: Permission denied

any help is appreciated
bart

Error 002

Post by bart »

The people who know the answer to this are off for the holiday weekend. They check in now and then, but your answer may be delayed.

The permission denied part of the error would seem to imply that the directory has another owner or that write permission is blocked.
John
Site Admin

Error 002

Post by John »

Typically the wwwroot and the webinator directory do not have permissions for the anonymous user that the web server run as to write the compiled form of the script to.

You can either grant permissions to the IUSR_<machine> account, or alternatively compile the script from the command-line, e.g.

c:\inetpub\scripts\texis.exe -C c:\inetpub\wwwroot\webinator\dowalk

c:\inetpub\scripts\texis.exe -C c:\inetpub\wwwroot\webinator\search
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
alistvideos

Error 002

Post by alistvideos »

Hello, I have a similiar problem and I'm a newbie to UNIX - I have webinator installed on freebsd4 at my ISP.
I get the error message:
002 /webinator/narrow1: Can't create object file /home/www/searchhawk/webinator/narrow1.vtc: Permission denied (narrow1 is "search" modified)

I read the response you gave to eric22 above- but I'm not using it on a 'c:\ drive' and I'm not sure if I have a file or folder called \script\(see above response). I'm not sure what or how to compile. Can you help me figure this out? I tried changing the permissions on my server with CHMOD and I got a Permission Denied.

Thanks in advance!
mark
Site Admin

Error 002

Post by mark »

chmod a+w /home/www/searchhawk/webinator

Ideally though you would make /home/www/searchhawk/webinator owned by the user that "texis" is running as instead of making it world writable as above.

An alternative to changing any permissions is to hand compile with
texis -C /home/www/searchhawk/webinator/narrow1