webinator deleted most of my databases and switched the others - help!

john208

Post by john208 »

I have multiple websites, each of which is walked using a different webinator database. All of the databases are in the same top level folder. I deleted one of the profiles and added it again. I made a mistake and entered the top level folder as the data directory, and webinator deleted most of the subfolders in the top level folder, meaning I've lost most of my webinator databases. The remaining databases have been switched from db1 to db2. How can I switch the database back to db1. Is there a command to do this.

It was a dumb mistake but it's shocking that webinator would deleted everything in the data directory without warning, and not just webinator related files!
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Creating a profile won't delete anything, though it will overwrite things of the same names. Deleting a profile will delete the dataspace and everything under it and provides a warning before doing so.

Use your system's "rename" or "mv" command to rename the directories as needed.
john208

Post by john208 »

I am using Webinator 5.0.6-Windows-w/plugin. I was able to recreate the problem. Although it was my mistake, I strongly feel the Webinator should not behave this way, and a patch should be released immediately. As I said earlier, I have multiple websites and databases.

d:\Texis50DB\website1
d:\Texis50DB\website2
d:\Texis50DB\website3

I deleted one of the profiles, and added it back, but instead of specifying d:\Texis50DB\website3 as the Data Directory, I specified d:\Texis50DB. The webinator created the database as I specified.

d:\Texis50DB\website1
d:\Texis50DB\website2
d:\Texis50DB\db1

I realized my mistake, and not thinking about it, I tried to correct the problem by deleting the new website3 profile. That was when the webinator decided to delete everything in d:\Texis50DB. I lost all of my databases.

Now I realize that was my mistake, but the webinator should ONLY delete the db1 and db2 subfolders and the log files. It should NOT delete everything in the folder!!!!!

By deleting everything, it means I cannot correct the original problem where I created the profile in the top level d:\Texis50DB. What if I didn't have a Texis50DB folder and had put all of my profiles at the root level of D:. The webinator would have deleted everything on my D: drive!

You should at least warn me that you will delete non-webinator files in the profile folder, but really, it should only delete db1 and db2.

John
john208

Post by john208 »

Could you remove this public posting? I can't change the title of this thread.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Why? Part of the purpose of this forum is for those that come after to be able to learn from the existing posts.
john208

Post by john208 »

We're talking about what I would consider a serious security flaw that someone can exploit. I can remove my comments but not yours or the top title.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

I've flagged the whole thread private.
john208

Post by john208 »

I've added back my comments so you can refer to them. Thank you!