Result link

mmcfadden

Result link

Post by mmcfadden »

John
Site Admin

Result link

Post by John »

It seems to end up in a redirect loop between a couple of machines. One of the messages indicated a Security Violation, and the other a service unavailable, so I'm not sure if it is doing a referer check, or something else that would restrict it.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
mmcfadden

Result link

Post by mmcfadden »

Why would the link work just fine outside of Webinator?
John
Site Admin

Result link

Post by John »

The browser would send a referrer link from the search result page when you access it from there, but not if you go directly. You might try removing the <header name=Location value=$u> from the doredir function, and rely on the meta http-equiv refresh to go to the result, which I believe will wipe out the referrer.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
mmcfadden

Result link

Post by mmcfadden »

I went ahead and commented out <header name=Location value=$u> and I also commented this text
<!--That document is <a href="$u">here</a>. ---->
It works just fine now. Do these changes cause other problems or remove functionality?
John
Site Admin

Result link

Post by John »

If the site the result points to is slow then the users will see the redir page while waiting for the site. Apart from that it is just another method of redirecting the user to the result. You probably would not be able to directly go to that site from the search results. It sounds as if either they don't want external sites linking in, or they have some broken code.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
mmcfadden

Result link

Post by mmcfadden »

mark
Site Admin

Result link

Post by mark »

By removing the Location header you've changed the protocol level redirect replacement page to a regular web page that forwards the browser somewhere else. When you hit back you get to the redirect page again and browser obeys the meta refresh command to redirect.

You could change the meta refresh time from 0 to something longer so the user has a chance to hit "back" again before being forwarded.