Result title not complete

jgdoke

Post by jgdoke »

Got a little further. Additional fields must be filled in first and the appliance updated so that you can use it in the "Data from Field" part.

Now for this part:
If you want to match the entire field, use .+ (period plus-sign) as the expression if you want to override the default only if a value exists, or .* (period asterisk) to override with an emtpy value if no value is specified.

In my case most documents have a title and I would be just copying it to the "To Field" but what if the document does not have a title at all?
jason112
Site Admin

Post by jason112 »

> If you want to match the entire field, use .+ (period
> plus-sign) as the expression if you want to override
> the default only if a value exists, or .* (period
> asterisk) to override with an emtpy value if no value
> is specified.

"Default" doesn't apply to our case here - additional fields don't have default values. That only applies when you're using Data From Field for things like filling the REAL title with other data - the "default" value there is the real title.

> In my case most documents have a title and I would be
> just copying it to the "To Field" but what if the
> document does not have a title at all?

If there's no Title, then FullTitle will be empty. The lack of a title gets mocked up to "--No Title--" at search time for the REAL title field, but that won't happen for FullTitle since it's an additional field.

Naturally you don't want to display an empty string for the title, but in the XSL we can say "if there's a FullTitle, display that. Otherwise, use ResultTitle".
fowlers

Post by fowlers »

I would like to throw my support in for taking away the limitation of 60-70 chars for the resulttitle field (at least 255 chars). I don't think that we should have to do a "work around" using additional fields when the appliance already has what we need.

If you do a little digging (and I'm sure the devs know this), do a List/Edit URLs search and select a document that you know has a long title. In the crawl information, the appliance shows the full title! Why, then, can't it return the full title in the results?
fowlers

Post by fowlers »

no answer?
jason112
Site Admin

Post by jason112 »

An optimal solution would probably be having a setting
to determine where the title should be truncated (where -1 would mean no truncation).

I'll put in a feature request for this, I can note here when there's some action on it.