Query highlighting

andreas.eriksson

Query highlighting

Post by andreas.eriksson »

I'm using Search Appliance SBE Server Version 5.01 and the dropXsl=yes option to retrieve results in xml format.

The highlighting of the query in the xml using <b> tags is messing things up for me:
<ResultTitle><b>query</b> abc123</ResultTitle>

Is there a setting somewhere to turn off the highlighting?

Regards,

Andreas
mark
Site Admin

Query highlighting

Post by mark »

There's no option to turn off the highlighting. How is it messing things up?
andreas.eriksson

Query highlighting

I'm using an Asp.Net XmlReader to fetch the xml and read it into a DataSet using the DataSet.ReadXml() method, after which I render the output using a Repeater control databound to the DataSet.Tables("Result").DefaultView.

The problem is that the DataSet interprets (correctly, one might argue) the <b>...</b> as a separate node in the xml structure.
jason112
Site Admin

Query highlighting

Post by jason112 »

> The problem is that the DataSet interprets (correctly,
> one might argue) the <b>...</b> as a separate node in
> the xml structure.

Indeed, the <b> tags are being represented as a separate, sub-nodes in the XML structure, even though we consider the text "part of" the parent <ResultTitle>.

This is a common convention (it's how XHTML works, after all) and because of this most XML APIs offer a way to get the content of an element and all of its children. I'm not familiar with Microsoft's xmlReader, though.

Regardless of whether it's possible with an xmlReader or not, I can certainly understand someone might want the XML with "flat" text elements, i.e. no query highlighting. We'll look at including an search option to disable Query Highlighting.
andreas.eriksson

Query highlighting

Fair enough.

In my case, i ended up "washing" the xml string before using it, no biggie.

Thanks for the swift response though.