Enabling Second NIC

aedens

Enabling Second NIC

Post by aedens »

All,

Our Search Appliances are used on our DMZ but sit behind a Cisco load balancing solution. We have both a DMZ (Public) and a DMZ 2 (Private. management functions, etc..)

It would be extremely helpful to us if I were able to use the second NIC card that comes with the Search Appliance for things like SSH, SNMP, DNS, perhaps binding the admin interface to the DMZ 2 address.

Any chance this can be done?

Thanks in advance for any help.
mark
Site Admin

Enabling Second NIC

Post by mark »

You could configure the 2nd nic from the Maintenance->webmin->network interfaces page. But all services would be available to both nics. I suppose you could setup firewall rules to block services for one IP but not the other.
mark
Site Admin

Enabling Second NIC

Post by mark »

p.s.
Unless you enable and require https admin and use that the admin interface is on the same port as the search interface so it couldn't be separated.
aedens

Enabling Second NIC

Post by aedens »

Thanks Mark. I suspected the part about the admin and search interfaces.

I will try enabling the second NIC in webmin, I just need to figure out it's MAC address I guess. You are correct, I can control which services are available with the firewall, etc..

Is this setup is supported by Thunderstone?

Thanks for the quick replies.
mark
Site Admin

Enabling Second NIC

Post by mark »

Is the 2nd NIC supported as in "guaranteed to work"? No.
But it is supported (where present) in that there's no known reason it shouldn't work and we'll help you configure it (within reason).

You can get the mac address from the webmin network admin interface. Click on an active interface to find it's mac.
aedens

Enabling Second NIC

Post by aedens »

Mark,

Thanks for all of the help. Everything went fine. I didn't even need the MAC address. The "auto" settings found it fine and filled in the information.

I am now monitoring the two T-Stone devices in Solarwinds, doing proper NTP, DNS, etc.

The next time I get a chance, I think I might even try some ACLs on the Apache config to limit who can view the management interfaces, but that's later.

Thanks again and take care.