Get sort by date to actually work?

john.santangelo

Post by john.santangelo »

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have difficulty with search results by date coming up inaccurate due to a mix of file types (notably PDF and asp/html).

Is there a way for thunderstone appliance to understand the date of asp/html pages based on meta updated_date :

<meta name="updated_date" content="4/9/08 11:31 AM">

and PDFs based on PDF metadata created or modified date?

Please! Help! Thanks!
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

If all of the pages use updated_date instead of modified for the metadata then you can use "Data From Field" to extract the updated_date and store it in the Modified field. Currently all the types of file would need to use the same name for the metadata.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
john.santangelo

Just want to make sure I understand..

On PDFs like this:
http://www.floridamedicare.com/Part_B/M ... 122085.pdf

There is no HTML meta data, but there is PDF meta data including last modified and created date. We can set the appliance to look at the PDF last modified date and a meta date value for html/asp pages and sort by date accordingly?
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

You can extract the meta date from html/asp pages. Currently the appliance will always use the server's "Last-Modified" header for pdf's.
john.santangelo

Doesn't seem to be working.

In the Data from Field section I have Meta Field > in the From Field, updated_date in the From Meta Field, and Modify Date in the To Field. Is that correct?

Our meta tag for updated/modified/posted date is <meta name="updated_date" content=" **date&time**">
jason112
Site Admin

Post by jason112 »

The settings sound right.

What is the exact format of **date&time** set in the HTML? It's officially a strict format, although the appliance is rather lenient in what it accepts.
jason112
Site Admin

Post by jason112 »

If it's the same format as the first post, that should work ok; I placed that in a HTML file, walked it, and Modified Date got set properly.

Modified: 2008-04-09 11:31:00
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

What do you have in "Rex search" column? For the whole meta field you should use
.+