Making a search available to multiple domains

webmaster2842

Post by webmaster2842 »

Hi,

I've recently installed Webinator on a dedictaed server running CentoOS. Our server has about 20 domains on it which we all own.

The URL search for using webinator is as follows:-

http://ourserveripaddress/cgi-bin/texis ... rofilename

Where ourserveripaddress is the the main ip address that the server was setup with initially. However, not all the IP addresses of the web sites on this server are necessarily the same, due to ssl requirements.

What I want to be able to do is have a search page on each of the domains we have. I can create a profile for each domain with no problems. But what I want for each domain is a search page on the lines of say:-

www.myotherdomain.com/search

Each of the domains has it's own cgi-bin directory. Is there a way of setting up a hardlink or something to the location of webinator so that I can setup search queries that are domain sepcific such as:-

http://myotherdomain.com/cgi-bin/texis/ ... rofilename

If this part were to work, then I could just create a rewrite rule in .htaccess (in public_html) to point the above location. If that makes sense.

The main thing though is that each domain can have it's own search page.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

If you create a hardlink in each of the cgi-bin directories to the texis executable then it should work within each domain.

If you wanted you could also edit the search script to look at $HTTP_HOST to choose an appropriate default profile if the pr=profilename is not supplied.

Another potential alternative depending on the configuration of your webserver would be a ScriptAlias to map /texis/ to the texis executable if that can be done globally so it would apply to all the virtual domains.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

If you decide go with the links it would generally be better to use soft links from the various cgi-bin directories to the real "texis" so that they will all still be the same version after you do an upgrade. You may need to configure your web server to allow soft links in the cgi-bin directory.
webmaster2842

Post by webmaster2842 »

Many thanks for your help. I will try the softlinks options and let you know my results