Texis and Web Server

michel.weber

Texis and Web Server

Post by michel.weber »

Hi

I'm new to texis (stepping over from appliance).

I see that texis can use external web servers (IIS, Apache) but also comes with it's own (HTTP Windows/VHTTP Unix).

The appliance seems to use the internal version, the windows install is geared to IIS, ...

I was wondering which is the recommended setup?
Kai
Site Admin

Texis and Web Server

Post by Kai »

IIS is recommended for Windows, as vhttpd (the integrated Texis web server) is only supported under Unix. There is a Texis Monitor web server that can be used under Windows (it is in fact used internally if the ISAPI filter is installed), but it is only recommended if another web server is unavailable.
michel.weber

Texis and Web Server

Post by michel.weber »

OK

So i did an install with the isapi filter.

unfortunately the install insists on installing into the default web site (which we do not use)

Q1 : Can i install texis into a non default web site?

Q2 : Can i make texis available to all web sites on the server through their url (site1.coe.int/texis, site2.coe.int/texis, ...)?

Q3 : Can i get rid of the /webinator part (maybe by renaming the directory to something else. The reason behind this is that folks over here are a bit touchy about the urls (they think 'webinator' resembles 'terminator').
jason112
Site Admin

Texis and Web Server

Post by jason112 »

A1: Yes. The installer will only do the default website, but you can configure IIS manually to use the isapi filter.

http://www.thunderstone.com/site/webina ... later.html

A2: Yes, you can repeat the above steps for multiple websites and it will function fine.

A3: Yes, everything after the "/texis" in the URL is a reflection of your "<installdir>/texis/scripts" folder. There's a webinator folder in there, and a "dowalk" file. Simply rename the folder to whatever you like.
mark
Site Admin

Texis and Web Server

Post by mark »

Or move the scripts up one level and eliminate the directory altogether.
michel.weber

Texis and Web Server

Post by michel.weber »

Thanks i had tried A1 (without yout document), and it did not work, i must have missed a step... now it works.

Q4 : what's the difference between proxyModule.dll and TexisISAPI.dll?
jason112
Site Admin

Texis and Web Server

Post by jason112 »

A4: The former is an update (and renaming) of the later.

There's also some additional functionality that the Proxy Module enables with the Search Appliance (Single Sign-On) that doesn't apply to Webinator.