Trouble with word forms

michel.weber

Trouble with word forms

Post by michel.weber »

Hi

I have trouble understanding how word forms work.

We have a profile configured to return word forms 'plural and possessives'.

I have 2 questions :

When i search for logo i find a whole bunch of results with 'log' at the head of the search results.
Why does it find 'log' when looking for 'logo' (or loga, logi, loge, logu, logy for that matter)?

Second question :

With word forms 'plural and possessives' i get > 1000 hits
in advanced search when selecting word forms 'exact match' i get about 300 with only 'logo' as expected
in advanced search when selecting word forms 'any word forms' i get exactly the same results (about 300) which does not strike me as normal.
Any idea why?

This happens on appliance 7.x or webinator+ 5.1.88
mark
Site Admin

Trouble with word forms

Post by mark »

re first q, trailing vowels may be stripped when looking for the root word. So search for "logo" is effectively searching for "log" and other forms ending in vowels will be allowed.

re second q, "plurals" allows shorter root words so it gets to a root of "log" whereas "any word forms" uses "logo" as the root. Using too short of a root (see "Custom Suffix Min Length") with "any word forms" tends to get some particularly odd matches because some words strip down to nonsensical roots.
jason112
Site Admin

Trouble with word forms

Post by jason112 »

Note that "Custom Suffix Min Length" isn't currently available, it's a feature that will be released in the next scripts update.

It's part of a new Word Forms choice, "Custom", which lets you directly tweak the 3 settings that Word Forms usually controls (suffix min length, suffix list, and suffix default removal).
michel.weber

Trouble with word forms

Post by michel.weber »

OK Thanks

Unfortunately LOG is a frequent part of document references.

Apart from adding a button 'exact match' to our searchinterface, is there a possibility for the user to specify that as part of the query string?