Automatic vs. manual index updates

barry.marcus

Post by barry.marcus »

I'm about to do some batch data inserts into a big table, and per a suggestion in a previous thread I'll turn off automatic index updates by setting Automatic=0 in the [Chkind] section of texis.ini. How then do I manually update the indexes after the batch inserts are completed? Is it just a matter of setting Automatic back to 1 and letting Texis do it's thing?

Thanks.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Update a metamorph index by reissuing the create index SQL statement. It will see that it exists and just update it.
barry.marcus

Post by barry.marcus »

Thanks
barry.marcus

Post by barry.marcus »

One more question... This is the script that we use to create the index "from scratch":

DROP INDEX PATN_ABST_PAx_MI;
set delexp=0;
set addexp = '\alnum{1,99}';
set keepnoise=1;
set indexspace='D:\Crosshairs\index1';
set indexmeter=1;
create METAMORPH INVERTED index PATN_ABST_PAx_MI on PATN(ABST_PAx,PATN_ISD);

Should I use all of the same lines in the script *except* the DROP INDEX, or should I issue just the CREATE METAMORPH INVERTED INDEX statement? That is, will Texis just somehow "know", for instance, to set addexp = '\alnum{1,99}' and keepnoise=1, etc.?
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

It will remember the index expressions and noise settings so you can just issue the CREATE INDEX.

The indexmeter and indexspace if you wanted to move the index could also be specified.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software