Maximum number of variables in a table

dpacke0

Post by dpacke0 »

In many years of programming in Vortex, this is the first time I have encountered this problem.

I have created a table containing 141 variables, some with fairly long names (e.g. 16 characters), and many are type varchar(2) (although many of the varchar data content lengths are actually 40 to 60 characters long).

The problem I have encountered is incorrect storage and retrieval of data for a given variable, and it seems sporadic -- some records are correct and some are not. By this I mean that it seems like values are being picked up and stored (or retrieved) from other than the named variable in a given record.

My program is complex, so there's always a chance it's a bug in my program, however, I wondered if I might be bumping some TEXIS table limit like a maximum number of variables in a table, or how many characters a varchar(2) variable can hold, or the length of variable names, etc.

It would be possible (though inconvenient) for me to break this one table into two or more tables if that's the solution.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Which version of Texis are you using?

There was a limit of about 100 fields that could be selected from a table at one time into Vortex variables, although that no longer is true.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
dpacke0

Post by dpacke0 »

I'm using Commercial version 4.03 dated Sept 10, 2003, however, I have similar results from another server for which I am developing the Vortex program and it is Commercial version 5.00 dated 20040601.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Texis Version 6 increased the limit from 100 to 1,000.

The other potential problem that can occur with complicated code can happen if you are looping over a variable, and then try and assign an array to the variable, as the assignment only applies to the current element, and so can only hold a single value.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
dpacke0

Post by dpacke0 »

Thanks,

I'll try using multiple tables to get the count comfortably below 100. I first encountered the problem when I increased the variable count to about 115, and then it got worse when I went to 141.

Thanks again for the guidance!
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

You don't need multiple tables, just multiple selects from the table if you need to select more than 100 fields at a time.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software