Encoding problem

cpm18

Encoding problem

Post by cpm18 »

When fetching the following URL http://www.filmforum.se/forum/index.php I get a 'Cannot decode Content- or Transfer-Encoding' error.

In addition the following message was observed...
Mising chunk size in chunked encoding data in the function TXfetchCteDecoderTranslate_chunked

I tried disabling chunked encoding or setting alternative encodings but have been unable to successfully fetch this page. Any idea how to get around this?
Kai
Site Admin

Encoding problem

Post by Kai »

It looks like that URL is sending the `Transfer-Encoding: chunked' header twice, which is causing <fetch> to assume the content is chunked-encoded twice. It respects both headers because multiple transfer codings are possible, though they should be given together in one Transfer-Encoding header not two, and <fetch> should probably let the last header override not add to the previous. Thus the second decoder fails, as there is only one actual chunked coding.

We're working on a fix for this (open a tech support ticket); a workaround is to get the server to not send the second Transfer-Encoding header (or to chunk it twice).
cpm18

Encoding problem

Post by cpm18 »

In regards to your suggested workaround. I tried setting the following prior to my fetch...
<urlcp Header "Transfer-Encoding" "chunked">

As I understand it, setting this would override the bad 'Transfer-Encoding: chunked, chunked' header that is being sent.

When I do this, the fetch hangs for a while and finally timesout and reports a connection timeout error without sending the page. Am I understanding how this works correctly?
mark
Site Admin

Encoding problem

Post by mark »

The workaround is to fix the server. Vortex/fetch is the client. There's not a urlcp setting to fix the problem.
Kai
Site Admin

Encoding problem

Post by Kai »

FYI the latest Webinator/Texis release now has a workaround in Vortex itself for this (<urlcp allowbadchunkedinfo on|off>, which is on by default). Contact Thunderstone if you have maintenance, or download the latest Free Webinator if you are using the free version.