Single Page walks

kiddywood

Single Page walks

Post by kiddywood »

Hi,

I have a list of URL's that I'm walking using the 'Single Page' function as I only want these pages to be walked and the links not followed.

Some of these URL's redirect to other pages. In these instances I want the page that the URL redirects to to be indexed but it's not as I assume the single page function accepts the original URL as the page it should index.

Is there any way around this?

Inserting the URL of the redirected page is not an option as it changes regularly.

Thanks in advance.

Phillip
jason112
Site Admin

Single Page walks

Post by jason112 »

No, currently all page processing (both single page and regular walks) maintains the original URL when redirects are encountered.
John
Site Admin

Single Page walks

Post by John »

Since you are using Webinator you are able to edit the code and add functionality that does not exist out of the box.

You could use <urlinfo actualurl> to extract the URL that was redirected to, and use that to store in the index.

There may be a few details to it, and you can either implement that yourself, or engage our professional services team to add specific features.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
kiddywood

Single Page walks

Post by kiddywood »

Hi John,

Please could you explain how this would be implemented? i.e. which code and where needs to be edited.

Then I can make a decision on whether I can implement this myself.

Thanks
John
Site Admin

Single Page walks

Post by John »

It looks like in the current script in the procpage function there already is a line that does:

<urlinfo actualurl><$actualurl=$ret>

Right after that you could say <$u=$actualurl> which would change its idea of the URL being processed. Whether that would work as is, or could potentially cause problems would require some more work to determine.

An alternative might be to pass $actualurl instead of $u to the storepage function.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software