Installation (monitor) segmentation fault

cro

Post by cro »

Sorry, it was Webinator 4.0 for Linux 2.4.

The libraries you point to are not the right versions for most current distributions. Redhat 7.2 is already on glibc 2.2.4, and the developing release of Debian is using glibc 2.2.5. Can I get Webinator compiled with one of those glibc versions? I think that would fix the segfault--when I do an strace it is segfaulting in "old_mmap" which is part of the glibc library.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

That's the point. It's impossible to compile Webinator for every little library release and kernel version. So we provide the libraries that it was linked against so that you may install them on your system to make Webinator behave.
cro

Post by cro »

But you *can't* backlevel the libc on a Linux box. It will break all the other executables that were linked against it. *Every* dynamically linked executable on a Linux box is linked against it.

I guess my question is then when will Thunderstone release Webinator compiled against glibc-2.2? I expect Webinator is not installable on RedHat 7.2 or SuSE 7.3 for the same reasons, they both use glibc-2.2.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Sorry. I forgot that libc has no version control at all. It's just always called libc.so.6 no matter what version it is. The other libs on the system may coreside with multiple versions. I'll refrain from ranting about linux's complete lack of back-compatibility and it's disdain for precompiled software, since that's not your fault.

As for when we'll support glibc-2.2, I can't promise anything. But probably not in the immediate future, but also not very far down the road either. Maybe a month?
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

p.s. You might be able to do a workaround by placing the required libs into a different directory and setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to that directory. That will preclude running it setuid though and getting that work under all circumstances (ie in CGI land) may be anywhere from difficult to impossible.