configuring gw.log

melvint9

configuring gw.log

Post by melvint9 »

How can I pull only the bad links listed in the gw.log (or whatever the log name is). I reviewed one of the previous messages listed in the message board, suggesting to create a query to grab the urls using a gw command such as:

gw -d -st "select refs.url, refs.ref, error.reason from error, refs where refs.URL=error.url and reason='document not found' order by refs.url

That looks like Sql commands. . .do I create a template or input those commands at the DOS prompt.

Thanks,

MLT
mark
Site Admin

configuring gw.log

Post by mark »

Yes, that is SQL. Error urls are recorded in the "error" table of the database. That's the best way to review errors. If you want to extract the errors from gw.log you would need to use grep or some such tool to find them.

gw is run from the command prompt. Note that this applies to webinator 2. In webinator 4 you simply look at the "walk status" to see errors. It also maintains an error table that can be queried with SQL.
melvint9

configuring gw.log

Post by melvint9 »

Mark,

The "Error" table would be the best thing for me, but when I tried opening it as a txt, wpd, and doc file, I'm getting jumbled words and characters. Is there a specific program I must open the file in.

Thanks,

Mlt
John
Site Admin

configuring gw.log

Post by John »

It is a database table, so has to be queried with SQL, such as with gw command you found initially.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software