Exclude a portion of page

rajesh.pesala

Post by rajesh.pesala »

My html page includes lot of html pages using #include virtual="./.../...html" tags. I want to exclude the webinator from indexing one of the include virtual html content. I tried using robot.txt, but didn't work. My webinator version is 2.53.
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

The #include virtual is a server-side directive: whether or not those pages are shown is up to the web server, not a user agent like a browser or Webinator. They're all part of the parent page and Webinator never sees them as separate URLs to include/exclude; it's all one page.

You'll have to figure a way to get your web server to conditionally include those files (ie. exclude them if the user agent is Webinator), or make them links instead of #includes so Webinator does see them as URLs (and thus separate pages it can exclude).
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

#include statements are processed by the webserver before the page is delivered. The client (Webinator) has no way of knowing they occurred.

If there's something distinctive about the included page(s) you could remove it from the database after the walk (see http://thunderstone.master.com/texis/ma ... 3b74016810). With version 4 you could remove it during the walk with the "Ignore Tags" and/or "Keep Tags" settings.
rajesh.pesala

Post by rajesh.pesala »

we tried to download dowalk_beta from this url.
ftp://ftp.thunderstone.com/pub/dowalk_beta
It is requesting login information and not giving an option to enter login information.
Does this dowalk_beta works with webinator version 2.53?
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Login as anonymous with no password. Many ftp clients will simply login as anonymous by default and never present you with a login prompt.

Yes, it works with webinator 2.5, but will only be able to index up to 30 megs of text per database without a full Texis license or a version 4 Webinator.