Repetion Operator

jcrosley64

Repetion Operator

Post by jcrosley64 »

How would I craft a search to retrieve only those documents that have the keyword mentioned...let's say...three (3) or more times in that document? It's something likea:

keyword /keyword{3,}

...with curly braces, but this is not working.

Please help!
John
Site Admin

Repetion Operator

Post by John »

The expression you have would only find keyword repeated three times with no intervening characters. Why are you trying to do that? You might be able to use the ranker, and turn up likepdocfreq, or in theory you could do the following:

keyword keyword keyword /.

Which if you allow post processing will find the keyword 3 times, although as it is doing post processing the performance may suffer.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
jcrosley64

Repetion Operator

Post by jcrosley64 »

Maybe I wasn't clear with the question. Let me explain by example:

Let's say I'm looking for substantive articles in the news on computer manufacturer, Dell. To get substantive articles, I want the keyword, Dell, to show up at least 3 or more times in the article.

How would I craft the search (exactly) to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Joel
John
Site Admin

Repetion Operator

Post by John »

I may not have been clear, but setting likepdocfreq to 1000, and all the other rank knobs to zero, and searching for LIKEP 'dell' will return you results ordered by the number of occurrences of dell in the document.

Doing the query:

dell dell dell /.

while allowing post-processing and REX in the query via query protection will find documents containing dell at least 3 times.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software