indexing sub-directories

thum

indexing sub-directories

Post by thum »

quick and dirty summary:

I'm trying to limit searches to certain directories (ie. don't search my whole site, just within one product area). My solution was to install webinator under each of these product directories.

Problem: my site requires users to log in via java servlet/JDBC/Oracle so the webinator indexer indexes http://mysite.com/servlet/SignOn and doesn't get underneath to the actual directories I want to index.

Any thoughts...?

Jeremy
mark
Site Admin

indexing sub-directories

Post by mark »

If your server requires java on the client to login you're kinda stuck. If you can supply the login info in the url, such as http://mysite.com/servlet/SignOn?login= ... mypassword webinator can index that.

To see your site as a web walker does turn off java, javascript, flash, and any other glitzy plugin that your site uses. Then go to your site.

There's no need to install webinator multiple times. You can setup categories to restrict the searches to certain areas.

BTW, this question was not related to "Installation" (the name of this group). This would have better been posted under Webinator.
thum

indexing sub-directories

Post by thum »

Thanks for the quick reply. You're right about putting this in the wrong area. I'll try your suggestions, very quick question...

How do I setup categories to restrict the searches to certain areas that you mentioned?
mark
Site Admin

indexing sub-directories

Post by mark »

doran

indexing sub-directories

Post by doran »

Another perspective on that... Is Oracle generating your pages too? Then you can solve this with full Texis. That would let you insert searchable content directly into a Texis or Webinator table without walking. (And your search app could take advantage of other oracle fields: for example, if there's a price field, you could provide text query results sorted by price.) A Texis license is required for indexing database content for business reasons as well, related to the acceptable use restrictions of the Webinator license.