Modules (RCS & CVS)

brian_macfarland

Modules (RCS & CVS)

Post by brian_macfarland »

There's been a standards push to move all code into CVS, a revision control system, in my company. It looks awfully familiar to the Texis module syntax, but a lot more complicated. I'm curious as to if the Texis version takes RCS (which I'm not very familiar with) and adapts it for use. If that's the case then I can talk to the standards people in a language that they understand, to get them to see that it makes little sense to deploy CVS in this area.

Anyone have any experience using CVS or RCS with Thunderstone modules. Is it twice the work as I anticipate it will be?
Kai
Site Admin

Modules (RCS & CVS)

Post by Kai »

Internally, Vortex uses a SQL table to store code; the only outside executable it is dependent on is diff for the -diff option, which isn't needed to use modules.

However, since RCS is a widely-used control system, we loosely based the module options on it to make it easier to use for those used to RCS (like us :) ).

You could write a set of shell-script wrappers to handle checkin/checkout for both Vortex and CVS, if one system is preferred and the other mandated.
brian_macfarland

Modules (RCS & CVS)

Post by brian_macfarland »

Thanks, I knew that there was something familiar about RCS. I figure it would be easy enough to write the shell script wrapper (can't be more than 20 lines of code I'm guessing.