Problems with customizing results page

Ned23

Post by Ned23 »

I have installed webinator on my server and it indexed everything fine. The problems arose when I tried to customize the results page. Once I made a change, the search would no longer work and would eventually time out without showing any error messages.

Then I took my back up copy and renamed it and had the search form point to it and I got the following error:

Error
006 /webinator/search2: Can't rename D:\websites\Webinator\search2.vtc to .vtx: Permission denied

So now nothing works correctly. And I've run out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Texis recompiles the script and writes the .vtx file when you modify it. Therefore, the webinator directory needs to be writable by the user running the cgi process. Typically something like IUSR_... on IIS. Allow everything for that user on the webinator directory (or any directory where you have vortex scripts).

The other option is to compile the script by hand from the command prompt after editing it:
c:\inetpub\scripts\texis -C search2
lf0

Post by lf0 »

We too, are having this problem. We are unable to compile the "search" Could you please explain how to do this in a bit more detail. Many thanks.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Using windows explorer find the folder that contains the search script. Right click the folder. Select properties. Select security. Select permissions. Give "Full control" to "Everyone".
lf0

Post by lf0 »

Thanks, this has worked. We are using webinator with obtree C3 and have database driven dhtml menu items in the pages. Can we put the search results as an object into an obtree page. This would keep the consistency of the page designs. Any help much appreciated, Thanks again.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

You need to either access the menu information from vortex using an <exec> or <fetch>. Or use a fetch like command from your dhtml to get the webinator content to place into the page. I'm afraid we can't provide much help in the way of using dhtml or obtree.
carsten.harnisch1

Post by carsten.harnisch1 »

you might use a server side include to build up the entire page, so placing your menu, header and footer into an include and combine them within your result page.
Another way might be, to use the texis odbc driver or a customized solution which uses the texis c-api to connect to the db and retrieve the data.
I am not sure if this is an option for the webinator free edition, but surely for the full texis product.
We already did that for a integration into Vignette, you might contact me for details (via private option) for details.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

You "Email Cc"'d mark. I think you meant to cc lf0. You might want to post again to cc the correct person.

BTW, the C api and ODBC are not available for any Webinator. Only full texis.
carsten.harnisch1

Post by carsten.harnisch1 »

you might use a server side include to build up the entire page, so placing your menu, header and footer into an include and combine them within your result page.
Another way might be, to use the texis odbc driver or a customized solution which uses the texis c-api to connect to the db and retrieve the data.
I am not sure if this is an option for the webinator free edition, but surely for the full texis product.
We already did that for a integration into Vignette, you might contact me for details (via private option) for details.