Debian 3.0 beta

thesteve

Debian 3.0 beta

Post by thesteve »

Hi! I love your product and have used it for two years now. It is the best on the market. However I am upgrading my server to debian 3.0 beta. The full version is to be released in about 2 weeks. My questions are:

1. Is webinator compatible with debian 3.0

2. Are my scripts on the older version of webinator compatible? I have mofified the scripts to give me 50 returned hits, 500 works of context, results bold in the centre etc.

3. I presently have about 8000 pages indexed. But there is a separate book volume set that has 4000 pages. If I create a separate data base for this new book, will that put me inviolation of the 10,000 page limit? (a total of 12,000 pages in two data bases)

Thanks!

Steve
thesteve

Debian 3.0 beta

Post by thesteve »

I failed to make myself clear, Sorry.

Will my old scripts with webinator work with the latest versions I am going to insall in my new server build? Can I just copy them into the apporpirate place and they will work with the new version of webinator? My current version of webinator is 2 years old.

Steve
Kai
Site Admin

Debian 3.0 beta

Post by Kai »

1. It depends on the kernel and glibc version. We build on RedHat, so I'm not sure of debian compatibility. We have versions for 2.1, 2.2, and 2.4 Linux kernels; check the kernel for your distribution.

2. Scripts based on Webinator 2.5 and earlier will not work with databases produced by Webinator 4.0+; the schema has changed. You'll have to modify your search scripts to use the 4.0 schema (which isn't much different), or you could apply your mods to the new 4.0 search script.
You can also still use gw, which is supplied with Webinator 4.0, to produce a 2.5-style database searchable with your 2.5 scripts. You will not be able to use the new 4.0 web admin interface with such a database however.

3. The page limit is per database (index), so indexing another 4,000 pages into a completely separate database is ok.
thesteve

Debian 3.0 beta

Post by thesteve »

The glibc version of Debian 3.0 is 2.2

Is this compatible with webinator 4.0

Thanks

Steve
Kai
Site Admin

Debian 3.0 beta

Post by Kai »

Probably, but the only way to make sure with Linux is to try it. What is the kernel version (uname -a)? The Linux 2.4|2.2 x86 version of Webinator is probably appropriate.