Premature end of script headers

jem

Post by jem »

Hello,

I was running Webinator 2x on Red Hat Linux 5.2 for a few years until I upgraded to Red Hat 7.2. When I did that, the script had errors. I decided to download and install the 4x version of webinator. I learned that I needed to install a new libncurses library which I believe I have done. Nevertheless, I get the following error during the installation process:

Checking dir with a web fetch...failed, will try again
Trying again with file...*** Failed ***
The URL http://www.(domainname).com/cgi-bin/texis/installtest/func.html?-dump
could not be fetched.
Possibly the CGI URL prefix (http://www.(domainname).com/cgi-bin)
or the CGI extension (none) is wrong.
The web server response was: HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error

When checking the error log, I'm still getting the script headers error. Oddly enough, the texis script doesn't even appear to be in the cgi-bin directory I specified even though the error log records the error in that directory. I assume the install program places it there and removes it when it doesn't function properly? At any rate, I did some searches for this problem on here but couldn't find anything that answered why I might be experiencing this problem. Any help would be appreciated. I tried installing the script as root but I got the same error.

Thanks,

Jem
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Not sure what version you downloaded. Make sure you get the "Linux 2.4l2.2 x86" version for use on RH 7.2. You shouldn't need any extra libraries.
jem

Post by jem »

Mark,

Thanks for replying. I have kernel 2.4.17 so I had to use download Linux 2.2 x86 version. It said that it would work with current versions of Red Hat so I assume that it should run fine?
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

You have kernel 2.4. A 2.2 build is inappropriate. Download the 2.4l2.2 version for use on RH 7.2.

"More recent" is a relative expression and doesn't mean ignore the even more recent 2.4 builds. The platform descriptions say the 2.4l2.2 version was built on RH 7.2. You have 7.2 so that would be most appropriate.
jem

Post by jem »

Mark,

Thanks for your help again. I downloaded and installed the version you suggested. I'm getting the same error as above. However, in the error logs I'm now getting multiple instances of "script not found or unable to stat /www/cgi-bin/texis". Interestingly the directory I gave it was /home/username/www/cgi-bin which should work fine as it does on my other scripts. I also tried installing it as root but again to no avail.

Jem
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Do you get the errors during install or afterward?
Where did you install (cgi directory)?
If during the install, it gives you the chance to enter the proper url for your chosed install directory. What did you supply?
If after install.
What url did it give you at the end of installation?
What url are you using?
jem

Post by jem »

Do you get the errors during install or afterward?

During the installation process.

Where did you install (cgi directory)?

I installed the webinator underneath the public web directory as suggested in the install program. It's in /home/username/webinator. When it asks for the CGI folder I put /home/username/www/cgi-bin (this is where all my CGI stuff is)

If during the install, it gives you the chance to enter the proper url for your chosed install directory. What did you supply?

http://www.domain.com/cgi-bin (This again is where all my other CGI stuff is)

Thanks again for all of your help on this.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

You said your server logs indicated "script not found". That means it's installed in the wrong place, the wrong url was used, or the webserver is broken. Are you using the standard apache server that comes with RH or something else?
jem

Post by jem »

Yes, it says "script not found or unable to stat" a number of times in the error log even if I run the install program just once. I'm not sure what "unable to stat" might mean. I'm sure that I am using the correct directories. Also, it seems to me that I wouldn't get an internal server error during that portion of the install program unless it had properly accessed the texis script.

I'm using a standard Apache server as far as I know.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

"unable to stat" means pretty much the same as "not found"."Internal server error" usually means the the server caught a bug in itself. Probably brought to light by being unable to find texis.

It should work out of the box on a generic rh7.2 install, but I guess we can test it again on monday.