Using Query String to Generate Categories

ksalt

Post by ksalt »

Hmmm ... I return ... Sorry, but i thought perhaps this should be a new thread rather than a continuation ...

I'm reworking our site as a database-backend, PHP-driven system, so my urls are all turning into things like http://www.rssd.esa.int/index.php?ptoject=TOP&page=pubs ... and now I have a new version of the my old problem.

It would seem that the search is not categorising urls with the search term in the query string. It will handle things like *compu* for all urls which contain "computing" **in the main url string** (e.g. http://xxx.xxx.xxx/computing/) but not where it occurs in the query string (e.g. http://xxx.xxx.xxx/index.php?project=computing).

Is there a trick, or do I need to REALLY learn Vortex scripting this time ???

Thanks in advance ...
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Which version of the scripts are you currently using?
It should work as is, however it will not ignore case in the querystring.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
ksalt

Post by ksalt »

I have version 4.3 ...

I tried with multiple strings of different cases - i.e. *COMPU* *Compu* *compu* and even *project=COMPU* and certainly got a bigger range of pages in the search.

I also discovered a couple of things locally which may have caused complications - nothing to do with Webinator. So I think we should close out this topic until I can get my own ducks in a row.

Thans for all the help though .. it really did set me on-course to find the problems.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

The things to make sure with Webinator are that you aren't excluding '?' in URLs, and that you have Strip Queries set to 'N'.

The <findcat> function is the one to change how categories are assigned if anyone wants to edit the script.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
sbaker2

Post by sbaker2 »

I was wondering if anyone found a solution for this? I know it's 10-years old, but I was just trying to do categories based on query strings, and it doesn't seem to work
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Should work. Did you follow the pointers above? What did you try? Are you sure the matching URLs are in your database?
jason112
Site Admin

Post by jason112 »

Yes, this is now possible. Data From Field now has the target field "Categories" available. you can use the REX Search

page\=\P=!&+

from the field "URL Decoded" and use that to populate Categories.
sbaker2

Post by sbaker2 »

Great, thanks -- it seems to be working correctly and putting the pages into a category... But only last category listed. Is there a way to get a single page to be listed in multiple categories? or am I going about this in the wrong way?
jason112
Site Admin

Post by jason112 »

It doesn't currently support populating multiple categories with this method. We'll be investigating the feasibility of adding it.
sbaker2

Post by sbaker2 »

that would be great - thank you so much