lower ranking of pdf files

jgdoke

Post by jgdoke »

I have tried all combinations of ranking to get our product pages to have a higher ranking in the results. When comparing your product to Google your results are poor. 9 pdf files before the product home page. then many more pdf files.

Same search on Google and the product page is #1 support page #2 other relevant html pages then a few pdf files. Without me resorting to trying to change the ranking.

What can we do to make your appliance show relevant results?

Thank you
John
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

On the phone Justin was indicating that adjusting document frequency down was having the desired affect. Is that not the case?

There are a number of settings that can control the ranking: Word Ordering, Word Proximity, Database Frequency, Document Frequency, Position in Text. They all default to median values and are good for most applications. For special needs you can tweek them to increase the weight of things that are important for searching your particular corpus. Once you've determined a set that works best with your data you can set those as the defaults under "Search Settings" for that profile.
jgdoke

Post by jgdoke »

Not the case... Nothing helped except deleting them from the crawl. How is it that Google can do it?
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Hmm, with this and your dup issues, maybe it would be helpful for us to setup a walk here. Could you provide the base url(s) you're using and any special settings you have?
jgdoke

Post by jgdoke »

base url. www.ab.com Dup's seem to be ok at this point.. But PDF's are still a major issue..
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Could you supply a couple sample queries that demonstrate the problem?
jgdoke

Post by jgdoke »

We have stripped PDF files from being index'd so from memory these should give you what you need.

powerflex
logix

Each of them has product page(s) that should come up way before a pdf does.

powerflex: www.ab.com/drives/ look in the left menu under AC Drives for all the product pages for it.

logix: www.ab.com/logix
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Setting "Document Frequency" to "off" does a pretty good job of pushing the pdf's down. "powerflex" brings up a powerflex product summary page as the first hit followed by various specific drives. "logix" brings up logix application page as the top hit. The logix summary page is down the list because it doesn't start talking about logix as soon as the other logix pages.
jgdoke

Post by jgdoke »

My guess is that you software needs to do some more thinking. If someone searches for AAA in the site:www.mysite.com look for a url www.mysite.com/aaa or www.mysite.com/products/aaa and offer them first and you would probably be right. I believe that is what Google does and it should be added to your appliance's intelligence.
Right now you only seem to care about the content of the page instead of the content and the url.
It might now work for everyone but for us it does.

I am looking into the Best Bets function to up some of these to take care of this issue.
Thanks for looking into this...