ODBC connection and text encoding.

tony.malandain

Post by tony.malandain »

Hi,

I'm trying to populate my Texis database using an ODBC connection.
While it's working fine for ascii-based texts, I can't make it works with cyrilic or roman-based ones.
Does the ODBC driver support non-ascii characters?
How shall I encode them?

Thanks,
/Tony.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

What errors are you seeing? How are you currently encoding them? There shouldn't be a problem with UTF-8 encoding.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
tony.malandain

Post by tony.malandain »

Well, I guess that's my problem.
I'm using the ODBC driver from .Net and in .Net, all the strings are encoded as Unicode (UTF-16 I believe).
What I don't understand though is that it works for some documents(containing only ASCII characters) and fails for others (cyrilic, Western European...). Why do you think it is?
For info, the error I get is simply: ERROR [HY000] Unknown Error Occurred (nothing more!)

By the way, do you have any plans for building a true .Net data provider for Texis? I can only make a limited use of the ODBC one from .Net

Thanks,
/Tony
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

If you can enable ODBC Tracing, and send the output to support@thunderstone.com we can get a better idea of exactly what is happening.

We do not currently have plans for implementing a .Net data provider as we have not seen much demand for it, and it with the variety of standards just from Microsoft for data access, including ODBC, OLEDB, ADO and not .Net data providers we would need to see the benefits of the newer methods.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
erick.thompson

Post by erick.thompson »

Is this still true (the message was from 2004)?

If so, what is the recommended way to connect to a Texis database from a .NET application? IIRC, there is an ODBC provider, but I can't find details on how to configure it. Any details or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Erick
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Erick,

The information is still correct.

The best way to talk to Texis from .NET can vary based on the application. It maybe helpful to discuss in a little more detail than the message board, if you use the "Support" link to open a ticket.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
erick.thompson

Post by erick.thompson »

Sounds good John. I will send an email directly.

Thanks,
Erick