Search with wild cards

jgdoke

Search with wild cards

Post by jgdoke »

When using wild cards in the searches a couple of problems show up.

We have products named Controllogix, flexlogix, drivelogix, Etc.. If I search using the term "*logix" It returns this error: "Your query was all noise words. Please enter a query with non-noise words."

First this query should work.
Second how do we change this response. Our customers do not know what "Noise words" means.
doran

Search with wild cards

Post by doran »

The current settings allow * within or at end of word but not at the beginning.... leading truncation is supported in the underlying software, but may work more slowly -- if customers need that, Thunderstone could turn it on as an option in a future release.
jgdoke

Search with wild cards

Post by jgdoke »

I Still need an answer for the Second question. There is a high possibility for customers entering *logix. HOW do we change the response : "Your query was all noise words. Please enter a query with non-noise words."? Google seems to just disreguard the Asterix

Also in response to your response.
Here is an excerpt from YOUR documentation:

"The wild-card character * (asterisk) may be used to match just the prefix of a word or to ignore the middle of something. "

You need to change "Prefix" to "Suffix"
mark
Site Admin

Search with wild cards

Post by mark »

In "power*", "power" is the prefix of a word, such as "powerful".

Contact sales at the "Contact Us" link to discuss a custom search script.
jgdoke

Search with wild cards

Post by jgdoke »

Got it... sorry...

You mentioned leading truncation could be turned on. I will contact you if in pratice this is a need.

Thank you very much..

John
doran

Search with wild cards

Post by doran »

I have added to enhancement request list both changing the error message, and adding an option to turn on leading wildcards.

My interpretaion of "match just the prefix of a word" is word* so I don't see problem in that.