cannot search for word documents without word installed

john208

Post by john208 »

I have just installed the professional version of Webinator 5 on a Windows 2003 server. After indexing the website, I tried to search for a word document but the Webinator cound not find the document. Microsoft Word is not installed on this server. I tried installing the free Word 97/2000 Viewer, but this did not help.

I also installed the same Webinator on a Windows XP computer with Word XP installed. The same search was able to find a word document. We do not want to buy and install a copy of Word on our Win 2003 server. What can we do to make this work?

Thanks, John
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Word is not necessary for Webinator to index it's files. Did you include the needed extensions in your walk settings? Did you get any errors in the walk status while processing word files? Did you purchase the file formats plugin?
john208

Post by john208 »

The document is an RTF file created by WordPad because Word is not installed on the server. It was named with a .doc extension. When I renamed the document with a .rtf extension, and indexed .rtf files, it worked.

However, it seems to me that the Webinator should check .doc files to see if they are really .rtf files, and visa versa, so that they can be indexed properly even when the extension is reversed. Microsoft Word can open both file extensions even when they are reversed, so it is not obvious when this occurs.

Thanks, John