Not returning good results.

jgdoke

Post by jgdoke »

Is there anyway to have "proximity" include depth? And/OR have the url figure into the ranking?

Example:
www.mysite.com/apples
this is where the main page for apples is located and is where I want the customers to go to if they search for apples. What I am getting is many other pages with "apple" information IE:www.mysite.com/apples/macintosh showing up first.. and rightly so with your current algorithm as the macintosh page has more occurrences of the word apple in the text and the main page just has a minimum of text and links to the sub pages.

Please do not tell me about Best Bets as my site is too large to enter all variations of product home pages.

I would think that if a customer searched for "xyz" and one of the url's in the database is www.mysite.com/xyz your appliance should put that page at the top of the list... As it stands right now I have to edit all the sub pages to take out keywords just so the main page ranks higher on the list... And fool with Best bets, all for something that should work better...

P.S. Google always returns the main page first.

Comments????
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

The latest version of the search appliance software allows you the option to include the URL in the text that is searched. By default the URL is not searched, only the contents of the page.

The depth is also included in the index, and a future version of the software will allow that to be included as a ranking factor.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software