mounting a network share.

agarcian

Post by agarcian »

I am trying to mount a windows network share on the Thunderstone appliance. I am following the directions on the documentation and using the webmin interface.

I have been trying to mount the shared folder but I get errors that it cannot connect.

I found that when I click on the browse servers button I get this error:

Failed to retrieve server list from localhost. Maybe the server does not allow browsing

I assume that I am not being able to connect to other servers for some reason. Any suggestions on how to connect?

Thanks.

A. Garcia.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Enter the hostname or IP of the server you want to mount. Then enter the share name or click "..." to browse the available shares. Be sure to enter a login name and password that is allowed to access the desired content.
agarcian

Post by agarcian »

That is exactly what I am doing but it gives me an error. I was wondering if there was any relation of the error I am getting when trying to mount the share with the fact that when I click the ... button to browse the servers, the system says that it cannot find any server.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Are you giving a local account on the file server, or a domain account? Are you giving the fully qualified server name, or just the host name? Which version of Windows is the file server running? I did just try against a Windows 2000 server, and it was able to mount the share with no problem.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

The browse servers button doesn't work. You have to enter the server name. Once there's a server name you should be able to browse the shares on that server using the ... button on the right.
agarcian

Post by agarcian »

Initially I tried not writing any account since the shared folder has read access for Everyone. didn't work. Then I tried using my domain account (not local to the file server) and didn't work either.

Should I create a local account on the server to try?

The server is a win2000.

I also tried using the ip address of the file server, and used also the host name.

What is the format you need to use when giviing the servername?

Thanks
agarcian

Post by agarcian »

How can I make sure the smb deamon is running. Is the password you assign to Webmin the same as the root password?
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

The webmin password is not the same as the root password. The smb daemon should not need to be running as it is mounting the server, not exporting the filesystem.

I assume you gave the domain account as DOMAIN\User? If so then you may need to try a local account.

Just the hostname, e.g. NAS001 should work for the server.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
agarcian

Post by agarcian »

The problem was that I needed to use a local account for that server.

Thanks for your help