interfacing with the appliance

pirwin

Post by pirwin »

where can i find an API reference for interfacing with the appliance? we need to interface with it with ASP.NET/VB. is it possible to tell the box through the API to reindex just one specific page?

also, tell your developers to get working on a SOAP interface. i need one yesterday!!!
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

A SOAP interface is in the works.

People have programmatically hit the appliance using the HTML interface, and posting through that. You can use the "Index Soon" link on the List/Edit Urls to force a page to be at the front of the reindex list.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
pirwin

Post by pirwin »

since it's over a year later, i'd like to request again for a SOAP interface.

having to formulate a query string, retrieve and parse the XML, and then output the results is a very kludgy solution. with a .NET compatible SOAP interface, it would be object oriented, no needing to download the XML from the thunderstone box, no need to formulate a query string... and getting the list of categories is a bit kludgy too. if you guys are working on it, what is the status? i know there are a bunch of people that would benefit from this, besides our organization!
jason112
Site Admin

Post by jason112 »

The project of a full SOAP API for the Appliance has been on hold, pending other things it depends on being implemented.

We understand that a SOAP API for just searching would be very handy to have and quicker to implement, and are looking at the feasibility of doing this.
fowlers

Post by fowlers »

Again - over a year later....

When is this thing going out the door? I have emails from tech support saying that it would be coming in version 6.3 which was supposed to be slated for late december 06/early january 07 - it's now even 6 months past that...
jason112
Site Admin

Post by jason112 »

We should have a beta version of a search SOAP API available early next week. I'll let you know when it's available.
fowlers

Post by fowlers »

sounds good...
jason112
Site Admin

Post by jason112 »

It is coming! :) There's an appliance update going out on Friday, and this will make it available for use. The GUI will not provide a link to it yet, but we'll get you instructions on how to use it.
fowlers

Post by fowlers »

will it be faster than returning xml?
jason112
Site Admin

Post by jason112 »

It certainly won't be faster than printing XML directly as it uses the same internal code for determining the results, but it will be faster than the "XSL Stylesheet" result style as it won't be applying any stylesheet server-side.