Authorization / Permission

watterson

Post by watterson »

I have searched the threads on how to only return URLs from a search that the requester can access. Since we have data on our site that we do not want to expose to the outside world, this is of interest to me.

We have a hybrid environment which uses IIS, Apache, Squid/Apache/Zope. All of these servers contain public and private information.

Our current method was to use two profiles, one for internal crawls and one for external crawls. I gave the external profile an obscure name, but apparently not obscure enough, as it is being accessed by users outside of our network.

I have tried in vain to configure the search settings to return only the urls the requester is allowed to see.

With our hybrid environment, is that possible? If that will not work, is there a way to set access permissions to individual profiles?

Mike
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

It should be possible, by setting Results Authorization Method (under Search Settings) to a value other than None. Typically it is set to Basic/NTLM/file, which supports URLs authenticated with HTTP Basic, NTLM, and Windows file:// methods.

What authentication method(s) does your environment use? What settings have you tried, with what results?
watterson

Post by watterson »

Thanks. I tried that and it did not work, then I thought, "Hey, maybe this doesn't work with a Meta-search" profile, so I changed it on the collection I was actually crawling.

What I was returned was a login box. Is there a way to just return the urls that the user has permission to see and not return a login box?

Mike
watterson

Post by watterson »

It appears that this may be the way to go, but I'm not quite sure what is being asked for here:

"Unauthorized Result Query

If a query is given in this box, then search results that return 200 Ok when fetched with the search user's credentials (when Authorization Method is active) are also checked with this query: if it matches, the user is not permitted to see the result. This is for sites that return 200 Ok with a "Bad login"-type message instead of 401 Unauthorized, for bad/unauthorized logins."
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

Correct; Results Authorization does not currently work with Meta Search.

The Unauthorized Result Query is not normally needed and can be left blank. It is only needed if the origin server returns a text message of "Unauthorized" (or the like) for bad logins, but does not give an actual HTTP 401 response for them. Since the Appliance normally goes by the HTTP result code, it would not know that the login failed if HTTP 200 Ok is returned with such a message.
watterson

Post by watterson »

Kai,

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I would like to know now is if there is

1. Any way to display the results you are allowed to see without the login box showing up

2. If there is a way to restrict access to specific profiles.
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

1. If you are proxying or submitting to the Appliance and using Basic/NTLM/form auth, yes. There will be an Appliance update coming out shortly (next few days) that supports this, ie. you can submit the rauser and rapass vars along with query etc. for a search, and it will authenticate on that submit instead of presenting the login form. (If you're using Forward Login cookies auth, you don't need the update; just make sure the cookies are domain-wide so the browser will submit them to the Appliance.) Single-sign-on NTLM auth (ie. forwarding the user's credentials from their workstation Windows login without another Appliance login) is not yet supported; we are working on it.

2. Not currently, for search users.
watterson

Post by watterson »

Great. Item #1 sounds perfect for our application. Looking forward to the update.
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

The update is now out; texisScripts 6.0.14.
watterson

Post by watterson »

Kai,

I finally was able to test the update. Either is not working, or I do not understand how it is supposed to work.

What I did is I created a query string and added rauser=&rapass=

It returned links for all the documents. When I followed one of the links I was prompted for a username/password.

I am using "Basic/NTLM/file - prompt via form" and I verified I have the update installed.