Client/Server Operation?

weixel

Client/Server Operation?

Post by weixel »

Is it possible to run Webinator in a client/server mode? Recent network security changes are going to force us to put the Webinator box behind a firewall. Are there any methods for introducing a query externally and presenting the results through a different front-end?
mark
Site Admin

Client/Server Operation?

Post by mark »

You could write a proxy script on the external server using your favorite server-side language to accept form inputs, pass to the backend, then present the results.

You'll need to translate all of the urls from the back end into something that will invoke the front end so it can pass the appropriate request through to the back end.
weixel

Client/Server Operation?

Post by weixel »

Mark,

Thanks for the quick response.

With regard to translating the back end URLs: can you be a little more specific? Do you mean the URLs to the Webinator control features (like Find Similar)?

I was thinking I might be able to write a Vortex script that would just present the results in XML that could be passed back to the front end script and transformed en route to the requesting browser...

-- Mark W.
mark
Site Admin

Client/Server Operation?

Post by mark »

Yes, I mean the feature and search urls.

You could change the output to send xml and do the layout on the external server. Or you could leave the output alone in webinator and just search and replace the urls before presenting to the user.