M-Dash Breaks IEs XML Display

dorban

Post by dorban »

I get the "xml page cannot be displayed" error in IE 6 when I run a query. It starts to show me the <ResultTitle> info and then stops.

It works in FF, so I looked to see what may be up with the file in question. It turns out that in the file (a Word Doc) in the Properties > Title there is an "M-Dash" between words. The display in FF shows a little square icon with hex notation, but it displays the XML ok. I just manually changed the Word file's title meta to a standard dash and am running the index again to see if it will fix the issue.

Not sure how many docs may have this problem, so I thought I'd see if there was a solution for it...

Thanks,
D.
jason112
Site Admin

Post by jason112 »

As a workaround, in your search form submission you can specify a "dropXSL" parameter as "html" to get IE to apply the stylesheet server-side.

The issue is that if there's no charset conversion from the document converter output, then it's not checked for validity. This will be changed in the future.
dorban

Post by dorban »

This issue just popped up again. Here's the url that is being called...

http://search.DOMAIN.com/texis/search?d ... ker+survey

The error is...

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing resource 'http://search.corp.firstindustrial.com/texis/sea...

<ResultTitle>Progress Review Agenda

############

It's a Word file. When I open it and go to File > Properties, there is an M-Dash used for one of the meta fields.