Password Protect

kiddywood

Password Protect

Post by kiddywood »

Hi,

I'd like to password protect the search page for webinator using htaccess so people have to log in to use it.

Do I need to protect the entire CGI-BIN folder or is there a single file I can protect to make this happen?

Thanks in advance.

Phill
mark
Site Admin

Password Protect

Post by mark »

To use apache htaccess you'd have to protect the entire cgi directory as you suggest. You could create a separate cgi directory for texis if you need to separate it from other cgi programs you have.

Otherwise you could put login routines into the search script.
kiddywood

Password Protect

Post by kiddywood »

I've got password protection working by using Modrewrite through ISAPI Rewrite (which lets me use Apache Mod_rewrite rules in IIS).

One question. Would it be possible to implement folder protection this way if I call the search through the TexisISAPI extension? Is there a different folder I could protect to get this to work?

I can't see how it's possible but I thought it was worth asking anyway.

Cheers.
jason112
Site Admin

Password Protect

Post by jason112 »

I'm not familiar with ISAPI Rewrite, but it sounds like it could take the place of TexisISAPI (and do authentication too). All TexisISAPI does is accept requests under the /texis directory, and pass them along to Webinator. If ISAPI Rerwite is capable of passing the request along to another host (rather than just rewriting the path on the same host), you could use that by itself.

If it can't, I still think this could work. ISAPI Filters, like "ISAPI Rewrite", are fully executed before ISAPI Extensions, such as TexisISAPI, are used. Therefore, simply requiring authentication for a certain URL pattern (like /texis) should not interfere with the execution of TexisISAPI.

Update: accidentally referred to appliance instead of Webinator, fixed.