Texis install and creating new database - Win 7

nduvnjak

Post by nduvnjak »

Hi,
I'm having a problem with the new Texis installation.
The installation itself went fine. This is the version:

Commercial Version 5.01.1258488718 20091117 (i686-intel-winnt-64-32)

The problems arise when I try to create a new database, to be used as the default DB for my parsing scripts. I create a new folder: C:\testparse . Then located in that folder I try to run "creatdb". The error returned is this:

c:\testparse>creatdb
002 can't open C:_TESTPARSE_SYSLOCKS: No such file or directory in the function
getshared
000 Could not open locking mechanism in the function ddopen

and as a result only 3 SYS tables are created in testparsefolder:
SYSTABLE
SYSINDEX
SYSCOLUMN

Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Maybe I should mention that I'm trying to install texis on my new machine running Windows 7. Is Texis supported on this OS? I have installed Texis several times so far, following the same procedure, but on different OS-es; this is the first time I'm trying Win 7 and first time I see this type of error.

Thanks,
Nenad
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Texis is not officially supported on Windows 7, as that is a desktop rather than server OS.

You do need to make sure that the user creating the database has "Create Global Objects" permissions under Local Security Policy > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
nduvnjak

Post by nduvnjak »

I got this to work. But the above action was not sufficient. I had to also disable the UAC, according to this article:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-di ... windows-7/
(Method 1)

Now I am not sure whether this action pose any security threats to my system? I disabled the UAC globally, and I'm not sure if that was possible to do only for Texis?

thanks
jason112
Site Admin

Post by jason112 »

It's true that you texis needs the admin token to run. Instead of outright disabling UAC, you can do this just with the command window when working with texis.

Right click on the cmd shortcut and choose "Run as administrator" to give that cmd window the access it needs to work with texis this time (or change the shortcut to always run as administrator if you do this often).
nduvnjak

Post by nduvnjak »

thank you.
I reverted the UAC to the default setting.

Texis continued to work, even without running the cmd promt as an administrator. But I guess the problem was only in creating the DB. Since the DB is already created, and I don't dare to experiment further (remove and re-create), things are just fine as they are now.
But I will keep in mind your advice when I need to install Texis and create the DB on some other Win7 machine.

thanks again!
nduvnjak

Post by nduvnjak »

actually...

I was wrong. The UAC change didn't have effect until after restart. So after that running Vortex scripts DID NOT work.

I took your advice and ran a cmd prompt as an administrator, and that apparently solves the problem.

thanks