General Comments

lbneal

General Comments

Post by lbneal »

It is obvious that Thunderstone does not want to market Webinator to the general public. That is understandable.

Webinator really kicks butt, however the administration is a nightmare.

One of my associates was looking for a support programmer and was told it takes a million dollars to start a search engine.

Why, because that individual knew the stupid hurdles presented by "nerdware" packages.

Webinator Free has appropriate limitations on capability and functionality.

However it is a "promotion tool" that fails miserably.

I hope that someone will clean-up the mess and make Webinator the package that it could be.
mark
Site Admin

General Comments

Post by mark »

Thanks for your input.

Yes, there are a lot of settings that make Webinator very flexible but can at times be daunting and get you in trouble if you don't understand what they do. For many sites though all that's needed is to enter the starting URL, maybe add some allowed extensions, and hit Go.

Building and operating an internet-wide search engine is a somewhat different problem than indexing your site or specific collection of sites. Webinator is not the tool for that but it's underlying Thunderstone technology of Texis and Vortex can be used to accomplish the task. We have an example of an internet search at http://search.thunderstone.com
lbneal

General Comments

Post by lbneal »

I am doing a specific collection of sites.

The progress is slow but gaining traction.