Error while installing latest version of Texis on one of our servers

barry.marcus

Post by barry.marcus »

I am getting the following error when attempting to run setup.exe on one of our servers:

An error (-5006: 0x80070002) has occured while running the setup. Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor.

The error occurs almost immediately. Also, the setup ran fine on our other machines.

Thanks for your help.
jason112
Site Admin

Post by jason112 »

That error is coming from the internals of Installshield; try renaming the "C:\Program Files (x86)\common files\installshield" folder to "installshield_OLD" and re-running the setup.
barry.marcus

Post by barry.marcus »

I still get the same error. I've apparently tried that in the past, because there already is an InstallshieldOld dir. I renamed the current one to InstallShieldOld2, but no dice!

I'm wondering if I should try uninstalling the current version of Texis first. Some questions, though. Will the setup.exe that I have do a new install (as opposed to an update)? And if I do that will the uninstallation do anything to my databases? I believe the default database stores our code history, and I certainly do not want to lose that. Is there anything beside that DB and texis.ini that I need to retain to make a new install appear as if it was an update?
jason112
Site Admin

Post by jason112 »

> I still get the same error. I've apparently tried
> that in the past, because there already
> is an InstallshieldOld dir.

Yes, it looks like you had two machines and one of them was fine with the update, the other had this error; at the time you copied the installed content from one to the other.

> Will the setup.exe that I have do a new install

Yes, the installer is the same. It detects whether it's installed or not to determine whether to offer an update or new install.

> I believe the default database stores our code
> history, and I certainly do not want to lose that

When you say "code history", are you referring to changes to the vortex scripts? If you've made script
modifications, then those reside in texis\scripts\webinator\

> Is there anything beside that DB and texis.ini
> that I need to retain to make a new install
> appear as if it was an update?

Depending on where you kept your profile databases, keeping the things inside the "texis" directory and texis.ini should be enough.

If your existing version is recent enough, you can go to Maintenance -> Save Webinator Settings to make a backup of your config; then you could restore that after the install without needing to muck around with copying files.
barry.marcus

Post by barry.marcus »

Thanks for your help. Since we already have two working installations (well, three counting a development server), and since we're going to do some major maintenance on this server in a few weeks anyway, I've decided to temporarily shelve this issue as a lower priority for now. I'll get back to it if necessary after the server maintenance.

Again, thanks for the help as usual.