Crawl Pages with jQuery UI tabs

andrea.schneider

Post by andrea.schneider »

Hi
How can I index websites using the jQuery UI tabs? If I index a tab website I get only one indexed page with the content of all tabs, which is actually not what a user expects to find. It should be possible to see only the content for each tab and the corresponding link which brings the user to the correct tab.

What is the way to do this with Webinator?

Thanks...
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Since all the content is on the page that is fetched by Webinator that is what would be expected.

Since there are a number of implementations of tabs you would need to either crawl a non-javascript version of the site that can redirect back into the tabbed version, or customize the crawler code to understand the structure of your pages, and how each tab is defined, and then generate an appropriate result URL to take the searcher to the tab.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
andrea.schneider

Post by andrea.schneider »

Hi John
Why does Webinator index content which has a style property "display:none"? Does it index everything visible on source code of the page or how is the behavior? If I know exactly what is crawled I could maybe add some extra styles when Webinator crawls the page.

I've already set up a solution where I use the pattern "Ignore Tags" with start and end tags on the invisible content
<!-- tab invisible -->
<!-- /tab invisible -->

but I thought there might be an easier option.

Regards
Andrea
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Webinator does not look at the style properties of the element, so they will be indexed regardless of the style, since with javascript you never know what content will be visible when.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software