Ram table issues

tboyer

Ram table issues

Post by tboyer »

Hi all, I'm having a mysterious problem with a ram table in Texis 6. I'm wondering if there are memory or handle or record limits to ram tables that I should be aware of.

It's a simple table, 28,000 rows, three fields.

I want to query the table using an IN. The IN key is a strlst of 5 simple character values.

The following query works fine when I have less than 10,000 records loaded. It blows up with 10,000 records or greater. It works without the in clause. It also works if I take out the order by.

The script does not abend but rather than running the select, it dumps every field of data in the ram table and then the ram table disappears. Subsequent queries on the ram table are met with "can't find table" errors.

<sql row "select Field,Value from fields_table where Billid=$id and Field in ($fieldkey) order by Field"></sql>
John
Site Admin

Ram table issues

Post by John »

You can use the SQL statement:

set ramrows = N;

to increase the number of rows before a RAM table is converted to a file based table. That has been the case in all versions of Texis.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software
tboyer

Ram table issues

Post by tboyer »

Thanks John, forgot about that. If we set ramrows relatively high (say 500k rows) and don't set ramlimit, will we bump into memory limits either for Texis or for the OS? Any other settings we should watch.
John
Site Admin

Ram table issues

Post by John »

Depends somewhat on the OS you are using and how much memory you have. There shouldn't be any Texis limits, but you would need to watch for how big a process the OS allows. If each row was less than 1K then 500K rows would be about 500MB of data, which shouldn't be a problem except on very small servers.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software