Converting old search script v6.1.0 to run in Webinator 23

rjshelq

Post by rjshelq »

Thankfully, my old Webinator has performed flawlessly for these past 8 years. (Hats off to Thunderstone for such a great product!)

Now, due to the obsolescence of TLS1.0 and 1.1, I'm biting the bullet and trying to update to Webinator 23. So, I need to convert my old search_custom.vs to something which will happily work with the current Webinator package.

My current customized search script version is based on:
Webinator 6.1.0
$Id: search4.src,v 2.814 2011/12/21 22:09:22 jason Exp $

Since I haven't looked at, or thought about, Vortex for all these years, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the size of the current search script (about double the size of the old script) and its considerable difference from my old script.

I don't need any new search features over what I've had for the past 8 years, I'm just making this change to get the updated TLS. So, I'd like to get your recommendations about how to most easily create a new custom search script, based on my present script.

Is there some previous search script which would work and which is more similar to my old 6.1.0 version? Or, is there any script upgrade converter? Or, can you offer any tips, hints or clues about converting my search script??
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

With a significant version difference between the old custom script and the new Webinator, it's best to start with the new stock script and apply your changes to it, rather than try to get the old custom script to work directly on the new Webinator. The latter approach would very likely run into more problems -- even if new features are not desired -- due to internal changes etc. since 6.1.0. I.e. there's likely more changes necessary from 6.1.0 -> 23 than from 6.1.0 -> your customized 6.1.0, so apply the smaller set of changes (the latter). This approach will also lessen the effort for any potential future upgrades.

Diff the stock 6.1.0 script (you saved it right?) and your custom-from-6.1.0 script, and work on applying those changes to the stock Webinator 23 scripts (after backing them up first).
Kai
Site Admin

Post by Kai »

When customizing a script, I try to put significant changes in separate functions and just call them from the right places, rather than put copious code inline inside the stock scripts' functions. That way I can apply the same customizations to a future update more easily: just copy my functions over, and find the same one-line insert points for calls to them. I also comment the changes with a consistent tag (e.g. my initials) so I can find them all later during the next upgrade. If large enough, the custom functions can go in a separate module file, and be included with:

<uses custom=/path/to/my/customFunctions.vs>

which further reduces the edits to the stock scripts.
rjshelq

Re: Converting old search script v6.1.0 to run in Webinator 23

Post by rjshelq »

As you suggested, I ran some diff checks and tried making my same mods where similar code appeared in the new search script in Version 7.07. And thank you for the idea about adding new functions. But that did not produce useful results. So far, nothing like what I had working before. Quite a mess actually.

So, it seems there are two possible paths forward:

1) Is there anything relatively easy that can be done to make the old search4.src,v 2.814 script work with version 7.07?? I don't need any of the new search script features. The old script did everything we needed. Is there some practical way to make the old script run?

2) Or, do you have any additional resources which could clarify and/or describe the operation of the new search script? It's twice the size of the old script and apparently has features which I'm unfamiliar with. I really don't know my way around the old script very well, and this much larger new one is rather bewildering. I found your web page "Customizing the Search", and that's the right idea, but it's a bit light on details.

Any suggestions?
Kai
Site Admin

Re: Converting old search script v6.1.0 to run in Webinator 23

Post by Kai »

1) Lots has changed between Webinator 6.1 and Webinator 23; enough that it would be difficult (even for us) to modify the 6.1 scripts to work properly with the new Texis of Webinator 23 -- and those mods, even if they work, might then cause your scripts to fail. It's like trying to get an old Netscape plugin working on a new browser: difficult at best, and maybe impossible, since the two components are designed to work closely together at the same (or nearly so) version. Plus it just makes things that much more difficult for the next upgrade when those now-even-older scripts are dealt with again. Yes the old scripts did everything you needed -- until they don't, or there are issues you're not even aware of. Regular updates, like regular doctor visits, help mitigate both.

2) The parameters for controlling searches are detailed here: https://docs.thunderstone.com/site/webi ... eters.html. The detailed internals of the search script change often enough that they're not documented in detail. If you can describe some of the things you're trying to accomplish, we might be able to point to the script areas and functions to look at. Very detailed assistance might end up requiring consulting however.