Migrating from Webinator 6 to 23.

michael.mongeau

Migrating from Webinator 6 to 23.

Post by michael.mongeau »

We have a large document collection with over 400 profiles running v6 on Windows 2008. We have built a new virtual server with Windows 2016 and v23 and would like to migrate the profiles from one server to the other. Is there an easy way to migrate the profile definitions so they do not have to be manually created in the Admin UI? The indexes themselves do not need to be migrated - just the profiles so they can be re-walked on the new server.

I posted a question a few years ago about about automating profile creation and the answer at the time was to use the SOAP UI or script the web interface. Is that still the advice?

Reference: https://forums.thunderstone.com/viewtop ... 32&p=22943

Thanks,

Michael Mongeau
Stratus Technologies
John
Site Admin

Re: Migrating from Webinator 6 to 23.

Post by John »

I think with version 6 you should be able to use the Backup Settings function to generate an XML backup file, and then restore it to the new version.
michael.mongeau

I was not aware of the backup functionality. In v6 I found it under Maintenance / Save Webinator Settings. I exported 1 profile as a test. When attempting to import it into v23 I get this error:

Restoring Backup File...
Restoring 1 Profile...
Restoring profile #1 "development_1.0.0.0"...
Missing, creating in E:\Apps\Thunderstone\Webinator\texis\development1000...
!!! Error restoring profile: [No data directory specified]

For "New Profile Locations" I selected the location of the v23 application instead of "Where the backup says they were located".
michael.mongeau

As a test I edited the XML file to set the SS_dataspace parameter path to the location of the new v23 folder. I then imported it using the option "Where the backup says they were located" and the import was successful.

Restoring Backup File...
Restoring 1 Profile...
Restoring profile #1 "development_1.0.0.0"...
Missing, creating in E:\Apps\Thunderstone\Webinator\texis\development1000...Done.
Launched Recreate Metamorph Database Index on profile development_1.0.0.0
Done, restored 15 settings.
Done restoring, took about 2 seconds.

So what I plan to do is export all profiles, edit the XML to set the correct path of SS_dataspace, and then import.

Thanks for the guidance.

Michael
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

You're welcome. We'll get the "New Profile Locations" bug fixed in an upcoming release.
John Turnbull
Thunderstone Software